Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Due dates; work week

I think it can be hard to track multiple due dates within a week. When I think about teaching on-campus, I don't do that to my on-campus students. Assignments and projects are typically due at the beginning of a class meeting...with the expectation that learners will complete everything for the week by that date and time. So, for this course, I am going to try to avoid multiple due dates for products. I won't be able to adhere to this guideline when asking learners to discuss and issue using a discussion protocol, or for peer review activities...but I will try to keep due dates as simple as possible.

Related, I have often tried different weekly schedules in order to help learners protect some of their weekends for family and to rest and rejuvinate. I have two small children, and the weekends are all about them...so I am sensitive to this issue. However, whenever I have played with the schedule this way I have received backlash. Learners implore me to give them the weekend to do the work. So again, for the sake of simplicity, this course will function on a Monday-Sunday schedule. This means that the due dates for weekly work is 11:59pm every Sunday. But, let's be honest, it is only 11:59pm in my hopes that learners will get some sleep...I won't be checking timestamps or anything like that. As long as the work is done by Monday morning (9am MST), all is well (except for those who are then sleep deprived).

No comments: